Total Pageviews

Monday 21 September 2009

How to live with people you don’t like?

With this question I decided there would probably be two routes in which we could go down for answering the brief. The first being an educational piece, looking at how to resolve the issue, or how to generally avoid the person and in affectively alienate them.

The second plan wasn’t exactly my idea of a piece of work, although we did discuss the idea for quite some time before decided to try and resolve issues. I think from my point of view, telling people how to avoid interaction wouldn’t be the best help or advice for someone who’d have to live with the person on a daily basis. If anything this would act as a form of conflict and eventually make the issue even worse.

At this point however I am a little unsure on what direction the group as a whole has decided. Currently, there seems to be a lot of mixed views and opinions and I don’t think we really progressed too far in terms of having a clear idea for what route we’d chosen.




Although before this I thought it would be a good idea to look at what causes this initial conflict in the first place. Could it be a clash of personality? Would one person with loud energetic behaviour find difficulties with a relaxed, laid back person and so on? Another issue could be more common things such as bad habits, tastes in film and music as well.



One thing that I started to play around with very briefly was an idea worked on how people generally get to know each other. I know I’ve found that on night out for instance, after a few drinks you’re generally on best friend terms with everyone in the room! So if night outs could be a form of an ice breaker, how would people that believe they won’t like each other start to approach in the first place?

Working on the idea of a form of indication, I mulled over the idea of a quick, fun personality tester/questionnaire. The idea was that this could result in an outcome that displayed this person’s interests and likes, whilst still being fairly open and not too specific.

As a form of making this clear to others the outcome could be a paper wrist band, a tear off from the questionnaire sheet itself. With a range of possible colours, the band ‘could’ be worn on a student night out, such as flat parties ECT. This could then indicate to the other students that they do actually have things in common, hopefully making them more inclined to approach and get to know each other.

An idea was all it was but it wasn’t really well received by the group... at all. Although, I think if there is a confrontation or a slight atmosphere with people you don’t ‘think’ you’re going to like, you will generally ignore or avoid them. It is a shame actually and I’ve actually done this myself when I started my more recent job in Morley. From looking at someone who worked there, I automatically decided we wouldn’t get along but we turned out to be really good friends and still are.

It’s the same situation as well, as I had to work with them every day, so it’s a far better solution to get talking and find some common ground. Where all different but who wants to be friends with someone that’s basically themselves?



Well at this point, I’m going to research some of the factors that start dislikes in living with people and hopefully see where we go from there. Tomorrow we’ll be collaborating each other’s research, although I’m pretty sure were all researching the same area anyway, which is a little bit pointless thinking about it now. It probably would have been more productive to each choose an area of research...

No comments:

Post a Comment