Total Pageviews

Friday 27 May 2011

OUGD203 EVALUATION

Throughout this module I have started to develop a greater understanding of my personal design practice and interests. More so with OUGD203 part two I enjoyed being able to choose my own brief. It was a good exercise in finding what I wanted to design and what I wanted from a brief, however not something that I would ever be able to do in industry.

I have started to further develop my understanding of illustration, animation, character design, web design and interactive design. I have found many challenges within these areas and having the chance to properly tackle them within this module has been an excellent experience.

Another skill I have developed is the ability to work in a creative partnership and work alongside a colleague to develop a concept and deliver a visually consistent product. I also feel that my documentation skills have improved a lot over the past few months as I have been making good use of web apps like issuu to clearly show my design process. Something that I probably failed on within this module was the effectiveness in thorough documentation. I feel I recorded lots of work through imagery although not so much in terms of critical analysis and annotation. This is mainly due to me constantly working on screen with development instead of analysing what I already had.

I feel that the projects I have undertaken during the module have been successful in delivering effective solutions the problems set. The YCN brief offered an excellent opportunity to get my work out into the world and I believe this helped my engage with the brief. Sega brief did prove troublesome at first as it was very open, but after the brief workshop I feel we managed to narrow our ideas and focus on an interesting direction that solved the problem.

The Inmortuum brief I set for myself was really open however I feel I needed this as I wanted to develop some skills across a wider area. Animation was a subject I was dying to get back to as it was a process I found to be actually really engaging. The short cut video sequences were fairly basic but what I worked with more so than the previous projects was a real focus on sound and how it can be used to involve the viewer and be timed to match video footage.

Unlike previous project I feel I managed my time quiet well. I think it’s mostly down to the fact that I actually was enjoying the briefs. I started concepting ideas from day one and there was little room for distraction or procrastination as in some other projects because it was areas I was probably more comfortable in, enabling me to just get on with it.

An area I feel I could improve upon in future projects is blogging consistently as I produce work. I found myself uploading images but then leaving the annotation for later in the week, which had me spending time typing it up or forgetting altogether.

This module has been very engaging and I am excited for future self-directed briefs however I feel what I should start doing is doing briefs I do NOT want to do in order to remove myself from those comfort zones and actually find breadth for me to progress and develop as a designer.

No comments:

Post a Comment